The Life and Times of an Albuquerque Nobody

an incomplete written version of my life

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I need to stop thinking, it makes my brain hurt!

So, I've been talking to my baby sister recently and she's worried because she doesn't know what she wants to do when she "grows up" and how our other sister is in college and our cousins and everyone else on God's green earth!
Being the good brother I am, I comforted her by reminding her I was 5 years older than her and I wasn't in school and I still didn't know what I wanted to do for a living. (I guess she just assumed I loved working for CDS and Hastings so much that I would just keep them until I died!)

This got me really thinking though... What do I want to do when I grow up? @_@

Wow.

I don't know.

This is one of those things they never really help you with through grade school. All through elementary school, they tell you that you can be whatever you want to be.
A cowboy.
A princess.
An astronaut.
A Power Ranger.
The President.
These are all great to play pretend with, but when was the last time you looked at the job market for any of these careers? They're not really open fields.

Then you get into middle and high school and all of a sudden everyone's telling you that you need to decide what you want to be!

Just decide!

Doesn't matter that you don't know anything about anything!

Just make a choice!

No one tells you what's really out there, or what's involved in what you want to do or how to go about doing it. Just a lot of vague answers...
My favorite was: "Just go to college..."
"What college offers it?"
"You know, that one... in that one place... in that state over yonder!"
"Oh yeah, that one!"
*rolls eyes*

And this is where the fun comes in: Colleges.

It's ok though, you made up your mind, right? That must be what's right.

Or not.

I thought it would be great to go into school to study culinary arts because I enjoy cooking. This was not the same type of cooking I enjoyed. This turned out to be a very expensive mistake since I dropped out in the second semester. It just wasn't what I wanted to do after all.

Ok, so I made a decision, I tried and failed. No big deal, right?

Now what do I want to do though?

And how do I do it?

I change my mind about a dozen times a day.
I've thought about finishing up the culinary arts degree, but I love cooking as a stress reliever and don't think I could deal with starting in someone else's kitchen and their rules.
I've thought about becoming a massage therapist. That seems like it would be a rewarding career and a way to help people.
Maybe journalism? Thought about that a couple times in high school.
What about a mortuary technician? I've been watching a lot of CSI recently and working with living, breathing, annoying people makes me want to work with the dead. Too bad I have zombiphobia.

Maybe I'll just...

...

...Make up my mind later! >_<

Help!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home